Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Look in the sky; it's a bird; it's a plane....


It's a university course in comic books!?!? That's right spidey friends. Yours truly along with an all-star group of two other profs will be offering a course next semester called Comic Book Design. The course is designed to have three parts: cultural historiography and character design, drawing forms and art, and computer art, design and layout. Hopefully it will fill up with students and get to be a regular thing.

That's one of the advantages of being at a smaller school. I really have the freedom here to make suggestions, be outspoken and experiment. This semester they started me off slow by giving me 5 composition courses. I like them, but 5 is a few too many and I have been craving something more juicy. Already for next semester I have myself scheduled to teach Intro to Western Lit. 1, Special Topics in Lit.: Drama, the comic course and an online comp course through a local prison.

I just figured I would write about something positive for once and let you know what the work sitch is like. BTW...allthough I will be on a tight budget for ordering any books for the comic class, I would love to get some suggestions from any comic readers out there. I have a short list already, but I'd like some more input.

Also, I will be in Philly Wed. 10/26-10/30. Unfortunitley it is not for the best reasons. My grandmother died on Sunday and I am coming in for the funeral. For those of you who knew my "Bubby", you already know she was a great women: kind, loving, independent, tough, giving, and every other positive adjective you can think of. She will be greatly missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that comic books are being taken more seriously these days too (at least when you call them "graphic novels"). Time magazine recently picked the 100 best English language novels since 1923 and included Alan Moore's The Watchmen. Here's the complete list:
http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

That Watchmen shares company with Lolita, 1984, On the Road, Catcher in the Rye, etc. is a great leap in respectability.

friday said...

did you get abducted?

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is a very smartly written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return. florida auto insurance quotes

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.goldentatejersey.com/]Golden Tate Blue Jersey[/url]

Fifth, act as if you have all the money you want If you have a short haired dog no need for a trim You may call these echo thoughts because they are no longer conscious, but like an echo, they continue to fill every space available

[url=http://www.jjwattjerseys.com/]Nike J.J. Watt Jersey[/url]

Start by going through your closets After spending your hard earned money on those ink cartridges, turn them into a free ream of paper! Many office supply stores offer a free ream of copy paper when you recycle a used ink cartridge at their store Not because cost isn't important ? of course it is, but - if you have a vet that you're happy with ? who gives your dog the best care you can possibly find in your area ? does paying a little extra for that care really matter in the long run?4 Contrary to what some would like to believe, not everyone is his or her market

[url=http://www.texansfootballshop.com/]JJ Watt Pink Jersey[/url]