Thursday, January 19, 2006

Not to toot my own horn...



basically because I would be afraid where I would have to push, but I just had to share this with you folks. This semester, I was supposed to teach 3 sections of Rhetoric, One section of Types of Literature: Drama, and one section of Western Literature I. Well...Unfortunately, my Western Lit class didn't make it. It had one person signed up for it. Part of the problem was that both of my Lit classes were offered at night and neither of them count as anything more than an elective. We also offered way too many Lit classes this semester. So, the end result was I needed to take a class from an adjunct, which I did feel bad about, but hey, it happened to me so many times that I couldn't feel too bad.

Anyway, there were not many classes that were appealing to me to take. The obvious choice would be another Rhetoric, but I had it in my mind that I didn't want to teach four writing classes this semester after I did five last semester. So there was the dilemma. Some of you know that one of my goals here at ENMU-R is to start a theater program. One problem with starting the program is to convince the "powers that be" that there is a need and that it could be profitable. The profit, in their minds, stems form the interest and need.

The online theater arts class had filled to the max which is a good start, but the onliners don't come to campus too much and don't really count towards starting the program. Long story a bit longer, there was a beginning acting course that was being cancelled because only four people signed up for it. In my eyes, not being able to get 8 (the minimum) students to take the course would be a sure sign that it isn't needed. So, I made a deal with my boss: Give me two days before you cancel and I'll get you four more people to take it (and I would teach it). She said okay and also said she would let the class go through even if there were only six in it!

Wow...I am rambling on this...sorry... I'm always up for a challenge and surely never like being told, "I told you so", so I hit the campus on a two day campaign to recruit two students. I stood outside registration, went to all my friends that work on campus and hung out in front of the advising office. In short, I was pathetic...but also somehow strange and beautiful.

End result: 16 people signed up for beginning Acting, a promising start. Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Son,I am proud of you! I knew you could do it.
Enjoy.
Mom

Ed said...

Toot away. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys...I instantly felt idiotic writing that post, but I really wanted to share. And...Mom is proud, and you can't beat that!