Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Philadelphia Five

As I get ready to head back to New Mexico, I thought I'd give you my list of things I miss most obout the greatest city in the USA: Philadelphia. Of course you can put family and friends aside for this, of course they come first. But the following is a list of things that are very difficult for me to do without in Roswell.

1. Rita's Water Ice. If you have been to Philly and had Rita's, you know what I am talking about. If you haven't, man, it is hard to explain. On the surface it would appear that Rita's is just a tasty, cool and refreshing icee snack. But, once you have tasted a Rita's, you realize there really is nothing like it in the world. Nuff said.

2. Snow. How do people live in climates that really do not get any snow? I love the snow. I love the way it looks, they way it falls, the way it feels to jump in and even shoveling the stuff! Every Winter I watch the news or weather channel and watch other people's snow. Is that wrong?

3. Attitude. I like the people I live near, but there is just nothing like the brunt honesty of people from Philly. No B.S.. I love when people look at me funny at restaurants when I ask for something ridicolous. Or when people tell me that something I am going to buy is ugly or dumb. You can't beat that kind of caring!

4. Angelos Pizza. Oh man, you gotta be kidding me. How do I go months and months without Angelos? The best pizza. Great Strombolis and Calzones. Perfect Cheese Steaks. I could eat there every night and not get the same thing for a month and be thrilled. I have been getting food there for about 27 years, and I guess you can say in part that they have made me into the man I am today.

5. Sports. It's not really the biggest deal in the world. I have friends to watch football with in Roswell and have great fun, but there is just something about being at home with Philly fans watching a game. Yelling at the TV. Arguing about who sucks the worst or who should be traded of fired. A whole flock of people to root against anything that even remotley reminds of New York or Dallas, or pretty much anything not Philly.

And of course there's a ton more, but that's enough for now. Let me know your top five from your hometown!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Philly because:
1.Roots.I grew up here, my husband grew up here and my sons grew up here. It's home.
2.Change of seasons. Beautiful Fall when leaves become a kaleidescope of color. Winter, with the lovely snow (especially when I don't have to drive in it) and you can go out in the bitter cold snuggled in heavy coats.
3.Diversity. People, neighborhoods.
4.History. Other cities have histories, but Philly's is awesome.
And..
5. It's the city my sons love to come home to and that's the very best!

Anonymous said...

Boo creepy cheese factory in Roswell. Hooray beer! Especially Leinenkugels!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice "5".
I with you on almost all 5. My only issue is Rita's It's TOO real.
I need some fake fruit or artificial flavoring to cool me off.
Even though no mention, maybe due to it's Delco location, I'm sure John will let you back in to LaForno's.
Please send me some VLA IPA when you get back to Roswell.

Anonymous said...

You know, I've never really been a big Rita's fan. I've had better water ice from lots of different makers.

Top Five Philly

5.Cheesesteaks. Even a crappy one here is better than foreign cheesesteaks.

4.Hatred of other sports teams. It's not enough to love your team; you must also hate your opponents.

3.Philly Politics. The hardest part about moving to Jenkintown is not being able to vote in Philly elections. At least I can still follow along in the papers. You won't find a richer (for better or worse) political culture.

2. History. The Athens of America.

1. Eagles. E-A-G-L-E-S!

friday said...

my friend from philly says one of the best things in the world can be found there...WaWa...eh...