Monday, September 11, 2006

Pure Water, Fast Ducks


While driving back from San Diego this summer, we saw a sign that made no sense in Deming, New Mexico. It said: Welcome to Deming, home of pure water and fast ducks. I can see why a place in the desert would want to claim pure water. But what's the deal with the ducks?

Well, as fate would have it, someone in my department has lived in Deming and related the story.

Deming, New Mexico is the home of the Great American Duck Race; an event that just celebrated its 27th year. Each year, multiples of people go down to Deming with their wannabe speedy ducks and let them tear it loose on the track.

Now I know what you are thinking; who cares about a bunch of fast ducks? Well, that's what I was thinking anyway, but just like most small towns americana, this is a party. Sure there are the duck races and I am sure a multitude of duck related things for the duck enthusiast, but when you boil off the fat, it is a festival like any other. From what I hear, it is actually a lot of fun. I just wonder what they do with the losing ducks when it is done (le'orange?)? Maybe next year, I'll mark it on the calendar and head down their. If anyone wants to join me, I'll flip the bill (sorry...bad duck pun intended).

I think it is utterly amazing that I live in a state that you can go see the ducks run and then make your way a couple of hours and see the rocket races. You got to love this state!

Before I let you waddle on the subject, I have to throw out my favorite duck joke!
A Priest, Rabbi and a duck go into a bar. The bartender says: What is this...a joke!?!?!
I'll be here all week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gimma a 'C', a bouncy 'C' . . .

A duck walks into a drugstore and says to the pharmacist, "A tube of Chapstick please, and put it on my bill".

Ducks, dogs, rabbits, horses, cars, boats, babies, women or men - it makes no difference. Party on!

Anonymous said...

There was a bar man who owned a duck who danced on a tin box. He sold it to another bar man who phoned him later asking how to make him stop. He replied "Open the tin and blow out the candles!"

Anonymous said...

I just have one word for the lot of you: Boo!