Monday, October 16, 2006

Super Genius??

(For some reason I can't get a photo to upload today, so imagine Steve Lyons smiling face here.)

Not so fast sports fans! I'm not so quick to throw Steve Lyons to the wolves just yet. Instead, I am awarding my Super Genius award this month to Fox Sports for their immediate dismissal of Mr. Lyons.

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Lyons, nicknamed "pyscho" during his playing days and best known up until now for forgetting where he was and pulling his pants down at first base trying to get dirt out of his pant legs, has been fired from Fox Sports for making racially insensitive comments.

Here is a chunck from Sports Illustrated's website (linked above):

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.
Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."
"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Insensitive? Perhaps. Cause for losing your job? I'm not so sure. Did Lyons mean it the way it is being portrayed? Does it matter? I leave it up to you my much smarter than I readers!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well stated Doc, they knew he was 'psycho' when they hired him.