Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Free Comic Book Day

Sorry it's been a few days since I have posted. It's the end of the semester and things are crazy busy here. Besides that, I was in Dallas for a few days (I guess that's how things end up crazy, huh?). Well...it'll all be over soon. I have three more classes to teach then a bunch of grading and then vacation time.

But enough about scheduling. I wanted to take a minute to thank Chris and Chris over at Madness Comics for having me in this past weekend. They put on the absolute best free comic book day event you could hope for. Their store looked more like a convention site on Saturday then a comic shop. From 10:00am and continuing throughout the day, people piled in to the shop.

Their were free comics, yes, but every store had free comics that day. The Chris's just know what they are doing, and that makes all the difference. One cool thing they did was to invite Stormtroopers and Darth Vader to stalk the vicinity of the store. They pulled people in off the street, took pictures with the kids and were just all around a major asset.

Inside the store, if you could see past the multitudes of customers, there was a panel of guests at tables talking to anyone interested. They had a couple local comic creators there who were young and talented and ready to take on the world (more on them in another post). They had Rick Hoberg and Steve Bennett, both whom I would have to say I learned alot from during the day. And somehow or another, there was me, sitting at the table as a guest, talking about comics and scholarship, or classical allusions in comics or whatever someone wanted to talk about.

Rick and Steve kick ass! They are both so unbelievably talented, but more then that they were such a wealth of information. And they were great with the fans. They talked to everyone who wanted to talk and for as long as the person stood there. They didn't rush anyone or shrug anyone off.

Overall, a great day for comic fans in Plano. Ciao.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, you get to do the coolest things. Me? I'm so cool, I went to hear Seamus Heaney read at the Philly Free Library (located in the Athens of America). Wait. That's not the cool part. The event was sold out. So I bought a ticket to sit in another room and watch a live feed of Heaney on a big screen. Pay-per-view poetry reading. I'm such a dork. Now, pay-per-view poetry in the comfort of my own home in which I could smoke and drink and make out loud comments. That would be cool.

Anonymous said...

Charlie Huston has a funny blog post on his Free Comic Book Day outing in NYC:
http://www.pulpnoir.com/

Anonymous said...

Ed,

I read about Heaney being in Philadelphia and I was supremely jealous. I would have watched from the other room too if I had to. I love the concept of pay-per-view poetry! Maybe I'll set up a reading.

Anonymous said...

Ed,

Also, Thanks for the link to Huston's page. It was totally a simular experience!