Monday, May 15, 2006

A hard rain


For the last 9 months I have lived in the desert. Last night and this morning (continuing as I type this post), the skies have opened up and let loose for the first time. It has rained a few times for a few minutes since I have been here, and I have heard that it has rained a few times that I was out of town (it even snowed I heard), but this is the first I have seen.

I love the rain, especially when the day before it rains it is 95 degrees and the day after it is 65. Of course one draw back is power failures. Yesterday I lost power a total of 3 times. There is nothing more boring than not having electricity. I read by candlelight, but that became uncomfortable. I drained out the battery of my laptop watching a part of a movie. I listened to music on the i-pod. But even though it seems I had much to do, one thing was a constant reminder to me; every minute the power was off was another push in the temperature of my place. My usual fridge-like home slowly was turning into a sauna...and there was nothing I could do.

Realistically, it never got too bad, but in my mind it was horrible and I started getting warmer and warmer, silently pleading for the gods of electrical wires to do their thing. Alas, a few hours later all was well. The rain continued to reek havoc, but the comforting sound of air rushing through vents returned and I was free from the torment of waking hours.

No comments: