Sunday, August 28, 2005

Not the last Dragonfly


For those of you I have not spoken to this week, I have yet to get my stuff delivered. They are now five days later then what they promised would be the latest they would be here. It's dang frustrating! But, let's not focus on the negative when there is just so much darn positive going on.

With that said, I went to the world famous Dragonfly Festival on Saturday. Luckily, it was just about as close as necessary to make me actual go to a dragonfly festival: 10 minutes. Keep in mind though, 10 minutes in any given direction out here and they might never find the body! So I woke up bright and squirlly and made my way out to Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge. And, no, I don't know if the lake is bitter; it hardly even seemed perturbed.

When I got there I realized that you needed reservations to be part of the festival (of course I had my reservations of a different kind about the whole thing). So...I did not get to go to the mysterious, usually closed to the public parts of the refuge. No worries though! They just can't keep those dragonflies in the private tour spots. They were everywhere. It was kind of cool (from the car). I took the scenic drive through the refuge and saw a bunch of dragonflies. Heck, the grill of my car saw at least twenty!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Do the dragonflies in the Roswell area have silver bodies, large black eyes, and triangular heads?", my partner John inquired.

Anonymous said...

I'm not real sure about that one. There seems to be quite a large variety of them though. Strangely enough, you don't see a whole lot of them in "the city", but as soon as you hit the bitter lakes...they are everywhere. They kind of freak me out though. I know they don't bite or anything, and compared to the Tarantulas, scorpians and rattlesnakes that live around these parts, they're really nothing, but still...something about them just isn't right.

Anonymous said...

a festival with insects as it's draw ?!? reservations ?!?

did I mention disc brakes are friction parts and generally not covered under the warranty?

insects?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Yes, a festival of insects! Ranks right up there with the Festival of lights and Festivus, huh?

Anonymous said...

festivus for the rest of us.

and now for the feats of strength.