Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sending out an S.O.S.


Someone today said Roswell was like an oasis. I thought about it for a few minutes and came to the realization that she was right. It's just like an oasis. Think about it. If you were traveling in the desert for days, no water for you or your camel, and all of a sudden there was Roswell, you would thank Allah (or insert whatever diety you wish). You would think you died and went to heaven.

Here's the problem. When I think of an oasis, I think of an answer to my prayers as well. The difference is, when people come upon an oasis, they are usually travelling somewhere else. The oasis is great for ten or fifteen minutes. Get a drink. Rest your sore feet. Motivate yourself to keep going. It's a turning point. A show of encouragement. A sign that things are looking your way.

Another thing. Nobody is at the oasis. Ever. It's only you when you get there. No hot-dog stand. No custard. No beerhaus. Just you, the water hole and a long road ahead of you. Nobody stays there for the week or plans to relocate there.

So here I am. At the oasis. Somebody send my a stinking pizza! Maybe I'll shoot down to Dallas for Labor Day weekend. Cheers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheer up buckeroo. It can only get better!

Anonymous said...

"my advice is to start drinking heavily."
eric stratton
rush chairman, delta house

Anonymous said...

Noel, seems like the suggestion most people here have taken. Not so much my colleagues (though I don't know any of them well enough to say what they do), but from the populous in general. Drugs, alcohol and teen pregnacy seem to be be the three big things in most small towns...guess this one is no different.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom...I'm cheery. I look at it this way....I love my job and I need to get used to where I live. It seems much better than hating your job and instantly liking whhere you are. Things will pick up eventually. No worries about that.

friday said...

wow...it sucks that to me roswell was, well maybe not an oasis, but at least sorta cool...i had been wating quite a good bit of my years wanting to visit and had a really fantastic time there...but i can imagine living there would be completely different...i started feeling sorry for the locals as i would smile with glee at all the thematic novelties...i bet the get really sick of folks like me...but i second what mom said "cheer up buckeroo"...mostly because it is really rad that you have a mom who calls you "buckeroo"...all i get is "punkin"...and for a fact i know there are places to get pizza in roswell...that, dan, is what we call "telling a story" here in texas...

Anonymous said...

No pizza...really. Unless you count the big chains, like Domminoes or Pizza Hut and the like. They don't count.