Friday, February 17, 2006

A funny thing happened on the way to Scottsdale

Sorry no picture today. I am posting from location and slave to the tech available.

But anyway...Many of you know that I do alot of driving. I drive all over the place. Often, when driving any great distance, you have to expect coming across certain things that are going to hold you up: the unfortunite occurances of rush hour traffic when going through major cities, the occasional 30 car pile up that holds you up for a few hours, a truck full of milk collides with a truck full of chickens...whatever. It's bound to happen to you sooner or later.

This time was a new one on me. I was driving past Alamogordo, New Mexico when I got flagged down and was made to get in a huge line of cars. I had already passed an immigration check point earlier, so I couldn't figure out why I was stopped. I got out and asked the guard that had me park and was told that there was a missle test scheduled and that the highway would be closed for at least another hour. A missle?!?! I guess they don't want anybody driving along Rt. 70 and being struck by any miscellanous debris.

But I thought it was pretty cool. I've never been stopped for a missle before. Of course the worst part was that it held me up so long that by the time I got to Phoenix, I hit rush hour. I had specifically left Roswell at 6:00am so that I would hit no traffic. Best laid plans, eh? So what should of been a 9 1/2 hour drive turned into about 12. Not that big of a deal...and, I got to see a missle explode in the New Mexico sky. Yatzee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blast!

Anonymous said...

Somehow, I think I might be a little nervous if my car was stopped for a missile test.