Monday, February 13, 2006

It's your gang, Billy


Billy The Kid, William H. Bonney, William Antrim, who knows? One thing is for certain, Billy is part of a great mythology about the wild west. This weekend, I had the opportunity to head on down to Lincoln County, Nm with Doc Bender and take a look at one museum dedicated to the kid.

When pulling into Lincoln, one can only think that they have wasted their time. It's a one street town. No traffic light, no stop sign, just one stretch of highway 49 that is about as long as the street you live on. So, needless to say, I thought I was in for a yawner...a quick yawner, but a yawner still. Luckily, this was only stop number one of a planned three stop day.

What I found though was surprising. While it is true that there is not alot to see out there in Lincoln, what they did provide was interesting and educational. It's definitely a "stop by if your heading that direction anyway" kind of place. I thought I knew about as much as I needed to about Billy, but I quickly realized that a few minutes in the history books in grade school and a familiarity with "Young Guns" part one and two, were not enough to get a full grasp. Anyway...I won't bore you be giving y'all a history lesson here, but I just figured I share.

BTW....When going to any historical site, I strongly recommend taking your resident history expert with you. It's much better then just reading the signs! Gettysburg with Ed and Scott and now Lincoln County with Doc Bender...you just don't get more informed then that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of us may need that history lesson. Say hi to doc bender for me.