Monday, April 24, 2006

And the Oscar for best tobbaconist goes to...


Wait a second. Did he just say tobacconist!?!? What the hell does he mean. Well my smoking jacket wearing friends, let me tell you. This weekend I was lucky enough to get to work on a wonderful short film here in Roswell, New Mexico, USA. I was brought on as an acting coach and worked with the director and actors to help the acting stay as close to the directors intention as possible.

But a funny thing happened on the movie set. One of the characters in the movie was required to smoke a ciggarette and then flick it at the camera. Problem was...he never even held a cancer stick before, let alone tossed one. So, as the guy outside smoking, I was naturally asked to become the smoking coach. During the shoot, we went through more then a pack of ciggarettes trying to film a scene that will probably end up about 2 minutes max on the screen.

I don't know how many films hire a tobacconist, and I am sure I am not the first, but, I have to say, it is the pinnacle of my movie career to date. Give me my Oscar, you Hollywood curs!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO COMMENTS!! I can't beleive there's NO COMMENTS! No one wrote just to say you spelled cigarette wrong?!

Anonymous said...

Nope...but you just answered the question of how many words I need to spell wrong to elicit a response!

Anonymous said...

You always mispell words. I don't bother to correct you.

Of course, I am deeply envious of any tobacco related job/performance you may have. Hey in 20 or 30 years, we could probably set up a smokers' consulting firm to teach people the fine art of lighting up, said practice sure to have been illegal for many years by then.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's more like it.

Anonymous said...

And I found this post in the Guardian's blog on smoking on stage:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/04/27/thank_you_for_s.html

"Actors must also learn the lost art of how to hold, light and smoke a cigarette: I've often thought it should be taught in drama schools along with fencing, fan-wielding and verse-speaking."

And here's Dan to show you how, kids.

Anonymous said...

Ed...Thanks. I'll pass that on to the acting class tonight.

D.