Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Artificial Intelevision


Since not much exciting things are going on these days, I wanted to bring up something that has bothered me for the last few days. I got Directv, which I absolutley love. NFL Ticket, lots of channels, Hockey and all the rest. I think its a good deal. And, I also love having the dual-tuner dvr (Tivo) that they gave me along with it. One day, I will have a social life here and will record all my shows.

The thing that gets me about Mr. Tivo is that at times it seems there must be a better way of interacting with it. I am no genius, but I can usually work a vcr and the cable dvr was much simpler. Tivo has too many layers you have to get through to get to anything of importance.

But the thing that gets me the most is that it seems to think it is smart. The Tivo, I mean. It records things without me telling it too. I came home last night to find that it recorded like 5 movies while I was at work! Somebody told me it does that to record you shows that Tivo thinks you might be interested in. How does it do that? And more importantly, how does it do that so badly? And maybe most importantly of all, how do I make Tivo stop!?!? You should see the things Tivo thinks I like! I am ashamed to think what Tivo must think of me. Now I find myself recording things like the history channel and Bravo, just to show Tivo that I am not just some dumb brute that watches sports and action movies. Tivo has to know that I am more than that! Maybe if I record C-Span or Meet the Press, Tivo will understand me better? Then again, maybe I should watch some shows Tivo would like to watch. Am I being selfish???

No comments: