Monday, September 26, 2005

Taking out the cheese to place it in cheesy

Yes, this weekend was the big Chile Cheese Festival, right here in downtown Roswell, USA. I had heard there was a festival of this type, but I have to be honest, if someone didn't call and let me know it was this weekend, it would have gone right by the wayside. But, there I was; Saturday afternoon; Outside the Civic Center and Art Museum; salivating over the prospect of spicy peppers and soothing cheese. I know many of you are thinking this sounds like a great thing. I know my family and friends pretty well and most of yuo are chile and cheese lovers.

Well...don't mark this one on your calander for next year. The whole thing was a joke...a sad joke. I was so excitied, only to be crushed once again by the Roswellian powers that be. You see, I was there for a couple of hours, and while I did see some peppers being roasted, I saw no cheese. None. What I did see were a bunch of vendors selling their cheap useless wares. Ok, maybe some people like that kind of thing, but where I come from we call it a flea market; though this one was about one tenth the typical flea market size.

There was live music though and that was nice even though the women lead of the band couldn't hit any high notes and kept trying. I was assured that there were better bands at different times of the day. But I watched and listened to the sounds of Mexican-American music which seems like a great mix of folk, salsa and polka (all three I can get into if done well).

Another attraction that was offered was a wine tasting. There is a local winery that I believe is called Pecos Valley Vineyards (I'm sure you are all gonna run right out there to get some). I did do a tasting, but they had it set up like a drinking more then a tasting: Nowhere to spit; Which wouldn't be a problem so much is the wine was good, but unfortunitely, Pecos missed the mark.

All that being said, it is nice that there are so many things that go on in this town,. As small and rinkydink as they might be, at least there is an effort. I think I counted 15 different festivals of one kind or another that take place here during the year. Next week is the Eastern New Mexico State Fair. More on that to follow.

No comments: