Tuesday, September 27, 2005


I know that some of you have probably been wondering when I would get to a post about the Kinks. Actually, I have thought about it on rainy days, especially those days that there seems to be nothing going on in the Roswell world. But, I have been trying not to make this site just about things I like and more about how I see what's going on around me.

That being said, I ran across some interesting Kinks stuff yeasterday and thought I would share. For those of you who don't know, the Kinks are probably the greatest band...of all time. I'm not looking for an argument here; I know its my opinion, but it happens to be true. But...it's been a tough year for both Ray and Dave Davies (brotherly singer/songwriter, lead guitar respectfully).

Dave had a stroke earlier this year (or late last year) and has had to recover for a while. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose the ability to do what you love the most. Luckily, he has been recovering and plans to start playing again. He also hopes to reunite the band and do a tour. Of course it is up to Ray, and the odds of the two of them coming to an agreement about anything is long at best.

But what has really interested me lately has been the saga of Ray. Last year, whilst on vacation in New Orleanes with his girlfriend, they were robbed at gunpoint on the street. In true rock and roll god fashion, our hero dashed after the crook and ended up being shot for his efforts (I think it must be tough for rock and roll gods to get old and mortal). He ended spending his whole recovory in New Orleanes learning about the city. He started a program out there to get kids instruments so they could take up music in school and hopefully stay off the streets.

Flash forward to present. Ray is back in London, getting ready to release a solo album and tour his country. A few days ago, in the London Times, there was an article written by Ray where he gave his take on the Katrina tragedy and specifically on Sin City. I just thought it was an interesting perspective that he had. He did admonish the US for not being prepared and really laid it on about how it seemed the media in our country was surprised that there were poor people in New Orleanes. But, he also makes a plea that the world should help us. He is obviously not a Bush fan, but he comes right out and makes a good point: In four years, Bush will be gone, but the Katrina survivors won't be.

Anyway...I was wondering what any of you might think about this...especially when entertainment people start getting on their soapbox. I am so typically against it, but maybe its because my heroes seldom do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still no responses? What's going on? I guess they don't stir up the excitement like they used to. One of my favorite groups of all-time. Why I remember when I first heard them back in '64 or was it '63 . . .

Anonymous said...

See...when I don't complain about something, nobody cares!