Thursday, September 15, 2005

Constitution Day


Here at lovely ENMU-R today it is Constitution Day. All of the employees and students are encouraged to take part in a myraid of events planned on campus including flag folding competitions, quiz shows and other sorts of contests. There is a big band setting up to play what I can only assume will be some patriotic music and everyone is asked to wear some red, white and blue.

It seems like it will be a fun day if the students don't wimp out and just go home. I have seen some people dressed up in various costumes around campus (mostly faculty). Personally, I don't own any red, white and blue combos so I am wearing my usual attire and a Phillies hat. I'll probably be told sonner or later to take it off though, because we are not allowed to wear hats.

What gets me is that we are also not allowed to wear blue jeans (or any color jeans for that matter). I understand the whole professionalism thing, but I think jeans should be okay. What kind of English Lit teacher am I if I can't wear blue jeans with a shirt and tie and put on my Tan courduroy jacket with the elbow pads. Isn't that what English profs wear!?!? What kind of message am I sending these kids in dress clothes? It's the humanities dang it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new format looks terrific. The parchment background makes it much easier to read. Kudos to the designer.

Anonymous said...

Thanks T.
Some people have been mentioning since the beginning that the site was difficult to read, so I figured I would change it up. I also uploaded a new version of the editor, so I should be able to easily provide links and pictures without having to go through a variety of silly steps.

friday said...

whoa! i thought my bookmarks got messed up when your site came up...weird...but it all reminds me of a lil' day we have here called "Go Texan Day" which really is part of a larger week of being a proud Texan...which really has mostly to do with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo...i use to love "Go Texan Day"...we would put on our get-up of boots and hats and spend the day square-dancing in P.E. and have all kinds of games all day...my dad would let me bring my saddle for the hay to pretend it was a horse...*sigh*....good times......but hey! what kind of english teacher doesn't break the rules?! i say you get your students to start a petition in your favor...geez....next they will want you to cut your hair...waiiiiiit...?

Anonymous said...

Friday,

Funny you mention the hair thing. No, they haven't asked me to cut it, but to be honest, I had thought about cutting it before the semester started. I started thinking too much though because I thought, "they hired me with long hair so I should keep long hair." Heck, I wouldn't want to be the first "proffessional" in American history getting fired for cutting their long hair off!